John B. Ervin was the first African-American dean at Washington University in St. Louis.
The aim of the award program is to acknowledge those students who demonstrate a commitment to:
- individual pursuits promoting expression of Black culture, history, and values.
- academic excellence and advancement of scholarship.
- cultivating community through service to improve quality of life for Black people at WashU, in St Louis, and globally.
Category of Award
(UCollege) Undergraduate/Graduate – Civic Engagement
Only Current University College students are eligible for this award. Student must have demonstrated a commitment to community service. Student must have a 3.0 or better GPA.
Student can self-nominate or be nominated by Washington University administrators, academic advisors, faculty, staff and students.
Requirements for Nominee
Once a student has been nominated, they must submit the following documents:
- Essay, 250 words or less, detailing community service activities
- Unofficial transcript
- Interview, will be scheduled after essay and transcript are submitted