Nelson Mandela, was an anti-apartheid activist. He became the first fully democratically elected President of South Africa.
The aim of the award program is to acknowledge those students who demonstrate a commitment to:
- individual pursuits promoting expression of Black culture, history, and values.
- academic excellence and advancement of scholarship.
- cultivating community through service to improve quality of life for Black people at WashU, in St Louis, and globally.
Category of Award
Undergraduate – Leadership
Nominee must be a current undergraduate student leader at Washington University in St. Louis who creates a shared vision, elicits the strengths of others, perseveres in the face of adversity, and/or who inspires a grander vision.
Student can self-nominate or be nominated by Washington University administrators, academic advisers, faculty, staff and students.
Requirements for Nominee
Once a student has been nominated, they must submit the following documents:
- Essay 250 words or less, detailing all activities
- Current resume
- Interview will be scheduled after essay and resume are submitted.