Wangari Maathai, was the first African woman to win a Nobel Peace Prize for her work in environmental sustainability.
The aim of the award program is to:
- Recognize the accomplishments of Black students
- Encourage those students who improve the quality of life on our campus and in the community
- Acquaint the university community with the achievements and contributions of Black students
Category of Award
Graduate – Community Service
Nominee must be a current graduate student at Washington University in St. Louis who has demonstrated a commitment to public service by improving the lives of others, engaging in civic activities, serving local, national or international communities, and/or demonstrating selflessness and compassion.
Student can self-nominate or be nominated by Washington University administrators, academic advisors, faculty, staff and students.
Requirements for Nominee
Once a student has been nominated, they must submit the following document:
- Essay, 750 words or less, on community service activities
- Interview will be scheduled after essay is submitted.